25 May 2010

(Lack of) Reason

The three of us had been out for quite awhile, about an hour and a half. Finally had the wind to our backs and we were flyin'. Got to the crest of the River Valley Road hill. There is usually water flowing at the bottom but as I passed I noticed the high water sign was down. I punched it hitting 25 mph before realizing more water was flowing than usual. My only resort was to accelerate, praying to make it. I did not. My bike and I were swept under by the current and dragged about 8 feet. I couldn't kick the bike off because my foot was caught by the head tube. When I was able to kick the bike off my ankle wrapped up in the cable housing. I swam hard against the current until I was able to put one foot down. WC pulled me out when I finally got my footing.

Just a glimpse of your own mortality will dramatically affect your life. You stop beating yourself up about that coke you had. The cheeseburger comes with an no afterthought of nutritional value. Forgetting your computer when you go riding just doesn't seem that important. The little boy running around your house gets hugged just a bit tighter. Your wife never looked more beautiful.

#3

1 comment:

  1. 8 feet my ass. You were a good 15 feet down river before I even stopped my bike. I'll bet you were 30 feet down before Brent got to you.

    a

    ReplyDelete